Shopping Cart


Your shopping bag is empty

Go to the shop

Mental Health Support

Mental Health Support

When should I seek help?

Seeking help is often the first step towards getting and staying well, but it can be hard to know how to start or where to turn to. It's common to feel unsure, and to wonder whether you should try to handle things on your own. But it's always ok to ask for help – even if you're not sure you are experiencing a specific mental health problem.

You might want to seek help if you're:

  • worrying more than usual
  • finding it hard to enjoy your life
  • having thoughts and feelings that are difficult to cope with, which have an impact on your day-to-day life
  • interested to find more support or treatment.

Find help in the United Kingdom 

Your doctor (GP)

For many of us, our local GP practice is the first place we go when we're unwell (known as primary care). Your doctor is there to help you with your mental health as well as your physical health.

They could:

  • make a diagnosis
  • offer you support and treatments (such as talking therapies and medication)
  • refer you to a mental health specialist, such as a psychiatrist
  • recommend local support options.

A trained therapist

Trained therapists and counsellors provide a range of different therapies through the NHS, for which your doctor could refer you (known as secondary care). In some cases you might be able to contact them directly.

Charity and third sector organisations

There are many national and local charities which offer various support services, such as:

  • helplines and listening services
  • information and signposting
  • other services such as peer supporttalking therapiesadvocacycrisis care, employment and housing support.

Crisis intervention

In most areas, you should have access to a crisis resolution and home treatment team (CRHT). These teams can support you through a crisis at home.

If you do not have access to a local crisis service, you could:

  • get an emergency appointment with your doctor
  • call the Samaritans
  • contact your CMHT if you have been referred to it previously
  • go to the Accident and Emergency (A&E) department at a local hospital or call 999 if you are at immediate risk.

(See our page on CRHTs for more information about how they can help. Our pages on crisis services have more information about your options for support during a mental health crisis.) 

Hospital treatment

Hospital inpatient services support people with severe mental health problems, or people who are experiencing a crisis. Most hospital admissions are voluntary, but if you are assessed and judged to be at risk of harming yourself or others, you can be detained under a section of the Mental Health Act 1983 (in England and Wales). This is often called being sectioned. How long you stay in hospital will depend on your personal situation.

Being treated in hospital can mean you have faster access to treatment, round-the-clock support and are kept safe during a crisis. Some people find hospital a positive experience, while others find it unpleasant as you might be far away from your support network, in an unfamiliar place or admitted against your will.

If you are treated in hospital, it's important to know your rights. Find out more about this on Mind Mental Health Charity's legal pages

For more options on mental health help visit the support page of  Time To Change Charity

Find help in the United States

Do you need to talk to someone?

If you or someone you know is in crisis, please call 911, go to the nearest emergency room, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255) to reach a 24-hour crisis center, or text MHA to 741741 at the Crisis Text Line.

You can also call 1-800-985-5990 or text “TalkWithUs” to 66746 at the SAMHSA Disaster Distress Helpline. Trained crisis workers will listen to you and direct you to the resources you need.

Are you looking for direct services in your area?

One of our 200 MHA affiliates across the country can provide you with additional guidance and connect you to local resources. Find the affiliate closest to you here:

Find more information about finding therapy, support groups, and inpatient care as well as types of mental health treatments here.

Are you looking for a low- to no-cost mental health treatment center for you or a loved one?

HRSA Health Centers care for you, even if you have no health insurance – you pay what you can afford based on your income. Health centers provide mental health, substance abuse, oral health, and/or vision services. Contact the health center organization directly to confirm the availability of specific services and to make an appointment. Search for a health center closest to you here.

You can also locate treatment facilities in your area by using the SAMHSA Treatment locator available at or by calling 1-800-662-HELP (4357).

Find a Health Care Provider or Treatment

Some federal agencies offer resources for identifying practitioners and assistance in finding low cost health services. These include:

  • Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA): HRSA works to improve access to health care. The website has information on finding affordable healthcare, including health centers that offer care on a sliding fee scale.
  • Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS): CMS has information on the website about benefits and eligibility for these programs and how to enroll.
  • The National Library of Medicine’s MedlinePlus website also has lists of directories and organizations that can help in identifying a health practitioner.
  • Practitioner lists in health care plans can provide mental health professionals that participate with your plan.
  • Mental Health and Addiction Insurance Help: This website from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services offers resources to help answer questions about insurance coverage for mental health care.

Find help in Canada

If you are in distress or are worried about someone in distress who may hurt themselves, call 1-800-SUICIDE 24 hours a day to connect to a BC crisis line, without a wait or busy signal. That’s 1-800-784-2433.

Alcohol & Drug Information and Referral Service
If you’re concerned about your alcohol or drug use or concerned about some else’s use, call the Alcohol and Drug Information and Referral Service at 1-800-663-1441 (toll-free in BC) or 604-660-9382 (in Greater Vancouver). This service is available seven days a week, 24 hours a day.

HealthLink BC
Call 811 or visit to access free, non-emergency health information for anyone in your family, including mental health information. Through 811, you can also speak to a registered nurse about symptoms you’re worried about, or talk with a pharmacist about medication questions.

Crisis intervention

Crisis lines aren’t only for people in crisis. You can call for information on local services or if you just need someone to talk to. If you are in distress, call 310-6789 (do not add 604, 778 or 250 before the number) 24 hours a day to connect to a BC crisis line, without a wait or busy signal. The crisis lines linked in through 310-6789 have received advanced training in mental health issues and services by members of the BC Partners for Mental Health and Addictions Information. 

Find help in Australia 

Suicide Call Back Service 

Suicide Call Back Service is a national 24/7 telehealth provider that offers free professional phone and online counselling for people living in Australia. You do not require a medical referral to initiate contact. This means you can access free professional counselling anywhere, at a time that is convenient to you. Phone and online counselling is seen by many to be a helpful alternative to traditional face-to-face counselling because of its less confronting approach. Their professionally trained counsellors have specialist skills in working with suicide-related issues and they can help you to work through the pain and distress you may be feeling.

While you should always call 000 if it’s an emergency, we can help anyone who is affected by suicide, which includes:

  • Anyone who is feeling suicidal
  • Anyone who is worried about someone
  • Anyone who is caring for someone who is feeling suicidal
  • Anyone who has lost someone to suicide
  • Health professionals supporting people who are affected by suicide.

Talk now via Telephone counselling

Call and talk with a professional counsellor now on 1300 659 467 anywhere, anytime. 

Online counselling

Access Suicide Call Back Service online counselling and chat with a counsellor anywhere, anytime.

Please note this service is only available to people living in Australia aged 15 years and older. Unfortunately, we cannot provide assistance to people outside Australia and we recommend you contact your nearest support service.

beyondblue aims to increase awareness of depression and anxiety and reduce stigma. Call 1300 22 4636, 24 hours / 7 days a week.

Blue Knot Foundation Helpline (formerly ASCA Professional Support Line) provides help, information, support or referral for adult survivors of childhood trauma and abuse, their partners, family and friends, health professionals and anyone in the workplace working with people who have experienced childhood trauma and abuse. Call 1300 657 380, 9am-5pm AEST / 7 days a week.

Butterfly Foundation's National Helpline, ED HOPE, is a free, confidential service that provides information, counselling and treatment referral for people with eating disorders, and body image and related issues. Call 1800 33 4673, 8am – midnight AEST / 7 days a week.

eheadspace provides mental health and wellbeing support, information and services to young people aged 12 to 25 years and their families. Call 1800 650 890.

Kids Helpline is Australia’s only free 24/7 confidential and private counseling service specifically for children and young people aged 5 to 25. Call 1800 55 1800.

Lifeline provides 24-hour crisis counseling, support groups and suicide prevention services. Call 13 11 14.

MensLine Australia is a professional telephone and online support and information service for Australian men. Call 1300 78 99 78, 24 hours / 7 days a week.

Find help in New Zealand 

What to do in an emergency

If you’re seriously concerned about someone’s immediate safety:

  • call 111 or take them to the Accident and Emergency Department (A&E) at your nearest hospital
  • phone your nearest hospital, or your district health board’s psychiatric emergency service or mental health crisis assessment team
  • remain with them and help them to stay safe until support arrives.


Other resources